On Dec 8th, I was fortunate to present an overview of SQL Server 2008 Integration Services to the Illinois Technology Association’s Business Intelligence Roundtable. The actively-involved participants had many questions. Here are links to all of the prerequisite, supplemental, and follow-on resources we discussed:
Dimension Design (aka Star Schema) Methodology:
- The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Complete Guide to Dimensional Modeling (Second Edition), Kimball/Ross – This is the book that describes many of the best techniques to model “star” or “snowflake” schemas. As I mentioned, this book should be on any BI practitioner’s bookshelf, regardless of platform.
- The Microsoft Data Warehouse Toolkit: With SQL Server 2005 and the Microsoft Business Intelligence Toolset – This book contains a some of the content of the above book, but focuses on the specific implementation with Microsoft tools. It also describes techniques to handle many of the BI-related issues we discussed such as
- restarting long running processes
- late arriving dimensions
While these examples are in SSIS 2005, they can be easily ported to SQL 2008. Most of the main techniques employed are still valid in SSIS 2008.
- Project REAL: Technical Overview
- Project REAL Reference Implementation
- The white paper dealing with ETL practices specifically is here
- Please see this blog entry
- There were only a few slides since I wanted to focus primarily on demonstrations, but you can find the PDF linked here: